* IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME HERE, I RECOMMEND READING THE VERY FIRST POST : CHAPTER ONE

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fight Club



This movie is very interesting. This is definitely one of my top ten movies of all time. Not just for the fighting (even though I love watching fights) but if you look at the things they talk about such as how the media has influenced us to live in a particular lifestyle and want things we don't need etc. It is very interesting to really think about society as a whole. The things we're bound to in life and the things that matter and don't matter.

There was one particular scene that made me really think. When Brad Pitt took a convenient store worker out back and put a gun to his head. Asked him what he was studying in college and why he didn't continue. The clerk said that it was too much schooling. He wanted to become a veterinarian. Tyler (Brad Pitt) told him that he is taking his license and will check up on him in 6 weeks. If he is not on his way to becoming a veterinarian, he will die. That was basically a life and death moment for the clerk which will change his life forever.

It made me think that if a lot of people were in that situation. It would definitely make people work harder and become what they want to be. But why do we need to let it come to that though. Why is it that we need a close encounter with death to open our eyes to the bigger picture. Why can't we push ourselves to our utmost potential without being threatened or anything along those lines.

This movie also talks about the materialistic items we take for granted. I have talked about this in an earlier post from before and so I won't get into too much detail. A quote he said in the movie was "once we lose everything, we are free to do anything." Which I think is very true. A lot of things in our life (materialistically speaking) we take for granted and we continue to want more. What would you want to do if you were going to die tomorrow? What would you say about your life if you were going to die tomorrow?

He states that you should KNOW that your going to die. Do not fear it. Embrace it and let go of all the negative thoughts about death. It will be the only way you can really live. Do what means most to you. Do what you can when you get the chance to do it. Do not waste time or waste emotions and feelings on things that do not matter. Do not let things get the best of you. Or else the things you own, will end up owning you.

Another thing I thought about was how there's kind of 2 sides to every story and 2 sides to every person. I feel like there are 2 sides of me too which is like the main character. One side is more strong, confident and more street smart where as the other is more sensitive, cautious and less risky. I don't know if this is like this with anyone else and maybe I am crazy like the main character lol but I really do feel there are 2 sides of me. And different situations call for different personality traits.

Anyways, I can't summarize every point in the movie but there are a lot of good points they get across. If you haven't watched it yet or in a long time. I definitely recommend seeing it again. It will open your eyes to a lot of things. Great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment